Congratulations! You’ve taken the first step of getting your business online. However, having a website doesn’t stop at the development. You need to have a plan to market and continually maintain your website not only so that your products and services can be found but also so that it acts as your 24/7 sales representative.
Quite often I see business owners who think because they have a website it will instantly start working for them. This is rarely the case. Like all good ideas and products, they need to be nurtured as well as announce their presence to the world.
With that in mind here are ten easy methods that will soon get you found.
- Start a blog.
- Create a video featuring your products or services and upload to You Tube. Once you have done this embed it into your website.
- Set up a plan to send out a monthly enewsletter and add a sign up form on your website. This will also help you to keep in contact with prospects that are interested in your product or service but are not yet ready to buy.
- Create a Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Pinterest account.
- If you already have the accounts set up, be sure to shout it out to the world through your social media channels and ask your friends to share.
- Participate in industry news. Write a guest blog or article for an industry magazine. Be sure that it includes links back to your site
- Be sure to tell your entire customer database about your new website. Ask for feedback and for them to forward it to someone they know who might be interested in your product or service. (You could even add an incentive here like a voucher should they help spread the word. After all, word-of-mouth marketing is the best form of marketing)
- Make sure that you add your website URL to all of your communication methods; quotes, letters, email signatures, business cards, uniforms and flyers.
- You may have heard of the word SEO? This stands for Search Engine Optimisation. Basic SEO starts from the back end of your website. Begin by making sure that your words on your website are SEO friendly by including relevant key words and different descriptions for each page. Keep your website regularly updated or have a plan to update it regularly. Search engines are constantly changing the way they scan the web so it is a good idea to keep it as active and ‘clean’ from outdated information and links as possible.
- Link your website to as many legitimate online website directories as possible. (You may already be noticing the increasing use of smart phone apps to find businesses.) If you are already listed, be sure to go in and update your details. With so many usernames and passwords it is always handy to have these on file. My top two online directories are
- True Local
- Start Local
The trick here is to make sure that you keep a register of what directories you align your website to so that you can examine your efforts and keep track of the results. By doing this, you’ll get even more knowledge on what avenues work and where your ‘hits’ (clicks to your site) are coming from. It also helps you to keep a register of usernames and passwords for each account that you set up.