When was the last time you took a break from your business? What if an emergency was to arise? How would your business survive without you? Both of these situations are equally important and they both have the one thing in common; your business has to be able to run without you.
Think about when you worked for someone else. Chances are they had a Procedures Manual. These manuals aren’t created just to antagonise employees (although at times it can feel like it when you have to update them), they are there so that someone can pick up the manual and step by step go through what needs to be done to keep the business running.
Procedures and automation are the two things that will ensure your business can not only keep running while you are absent but also run well without loss of income or customer satisfaction.
Below are a few tips to help you get your business ready for baby-sitting:
- Compile a manual of the “must do” tasks for each day of the week with instructions on how they are to be done. Include things such as login details for any software or websites needed, contact details for any technical services, ordering processes, supplier details, client details, social media requirements etc. Everything a new employee or Virtual Assistant would need to run your business for you in your absence.
- Write and schedule all of your social media posts in advance. While it might seem a huge task, try to be at least two weeks in advance so that if you are ill or have an emergency, everything will still be posting in your absence.
- Write and schedule your newsletters in advance so that there are always a couple ready to go without you having to do anything. Again, in the case of an emergency this means you are still corresponding with your clients without needing to be there.
- Hire a virtual assistant to get to know your business or alternatively, get to know another business owner that you could trust to manage your emails in an emergency. Having this back up works both ways and you can both be assured that your business will continue while you deal with life’s little hiccups.
- Set an “out of office” email letting people know that you are away from your email and that the emails will be checked daily in case anything urgent needs to be addressed and all other emails will be responded to as soon as possible.
- Set up your email on your smart phone and/or make sure you have your webhost login details saved in your phone so that you can access your webmail and website no matter where you are as long as you can access the internet.
These are just some of the easy to implement ways to ensure your business is ready for babysitting. We would love to hear your ideas for other ways to automate and prepare your business. Don’t forget that you can rely on Absolute Assistance to help you develop and document your office procedures, and to take care of your business while you are away.